Best Bourbon Whiskey Blend Recipes
Whether it’s after a round of golf or a long day at work, a homemade bourbon blend is the perfect drink to enjoy while you relax and unwind.
Below, with the help of our friends over at the Bourbon & Birdies Podcast, we’ve featured our picks for the best bourbon whiskey blend recipes. While each of the bottles featured here are terrific on their own, these simple homemade bourbon blends will introduce new and unique notes that’ll make you want to keep these blends on hand at all times.
Bourbon Whiskey Blend Recipes
"Old Bird" Bourbon Blend Recipe
Bourbon Whiskeys: Russell's Reserve 10 Year Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, Wild Turkey Rare Breed Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Ratio: 2:1 Russell's Reserve/Wild Turkey
"Poor Man's Four Grain" Bourbon Blend Recipe
Bourbon Whiskeys: Weller Special Reserve Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, Old Grand-Dad 114 Proof Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Ratio: 2:1 Weller Special Reserve / Old Grand-Dad
"Old Hank" Bourbon Blend Recipe
Bourbon Whiskeys: Henry McKenna 10 Year Old Single Barrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon, Old Grand-Dad 114 Proof Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Ratio: 1:1 Henry McKenna / Old Grand-Dad
"Prudent Pappy Van Winkle" Bourbon Blend Recipe
Bourbon Whiskeys: Maker's Mark Cask Strength Bourbon, John E Fitzgerald Larceny Bourbon
Ratio: 2:1 Maker's Mark / Larceny
More About These Bourbon Whiskeys
Below we've provided a bit more information about the bottles used in the homemade bourbon blend recipes we've shared. We've included Proof, Distiller Notes and Price.
Note: The bourbon market has been absolutely booming for the better part of the last 10 years which means there is great demand for fantastic bourbon whiskey and, depending on where you live, you may be paying more (or less) for specific bottles.
Russell's Reserve 10 Year Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- Price: $33.99
- Proof: 90
- Distiller Notes: Master distillers and premier whiskey makers Jimmy and Eddie Russell have brought nearly 100 years of combined experience to artfully crafting Russell’s Reserve 10 Year Old Bourbon. Bottled at 90 proof, this hand selected small batch bourbon has a rich, caramel and vanilla taste and a uniquely smooth finish.
Wild Turkey Rare Breed Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- Price: $54.99
- Proof: 116.8
- Distiller Notes: The true, bold spirit of Wild Turkey has been captured in this authentic barrel proof whiskey, creating one of the finest bourbons in the world. Uncut with water, Rare Breed is an uncompromised Kentucky bourbon with tones of sweet tobacco and hints of orange and mint, making it a remarkably smooth whiskey legend.
Weller Special Reserve Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- Price: $39.99 - $70
- Proof: 90
- Distiller Notes: A sweet nose with a presence of caramel. Tasting notes of honey, butterscotch, and a soft woodiness. It's smooth, delicate and calm. Features a smooth finish with a sweet honeysuckle flair.
Old Grand-Dad 114 Proof Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- Price: $30.99
- Proof: 114
- Distiller Notes: Old Grand-Dad 114 Proof is bottled at barrel-strength, delivering the full flavor of bourbon whiskey with notes of spicy characteristic of higher percentage of rye in the bourbon mash. Old Grand-Dad 114 is truly a super-premium bourbon in that it comes off the still lower than the other Old Grand-Dad expressions at 127 proof. The benefit? The lower the proof that a spirit comes off the still, the more it retains the flavor from the grain.
Henry McKenna 10 Year Old Single Barrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon
- Price: $69.99
- Proof: 100
- Distiller Notes: This high proof, Bottled-in-Bond Bourbon was named for Henry McKenna, the Irish immigrant who adapted his family's whiskey recipe to work the grains he found in Kentucky. Henry McKenna is one of the longest aged Bottled-in-Bond whiskeys available today, resting in the barrel through 40 Kentucky seasons. Critics agree that this is perfectly balanced Bourbon.
Maker's Mark Cask Strength Bourbon
- Price: $59.96
- Proof: 110.1
- Distiller Notes: Maker’s Mark Cask Strength amps up the front-of-the-palate flavors of Maker’s Mark. In other words, it’s Maker’s with a lot more Maker’s. But the higher alcohol content of our Cask Strength isn’t the story here – it’s the taste. Maker’s Mark Cask Strength has more of the rich oak, vanilla, caramel and spice that are the signature flavors of Maker’s Mark.
John E Fitzgerald Larceny Bourbon
- Price: $29.99
- Proof: 92
- Distiller Notes: Created as a special small batch bourbon, Larceny is made from 100 barrels or less. Distilling in a small batch allows the Master Distillers to choose only those barrels that have achieved the ideal taste profile and reached peak maturity.
So grab yourself a bottle or two and give these homemade bourbon blends a shot! If you're interested in our personal tasting notes, we explored these blends live on this bourbon podcast.
I’ve blended Russel’s 10/Rarebreed at 1:1. Like a lot.
My favorite blend. 3:3:1
Russel’s 10: Knob Creek 9yr 120 proof: Elijah Craig 18.
Thanks for sharing, Mark! Will give it a go!
Try 50% Weller Antique 107 and 50% Weller Special Reserve. I call it the “Slight Fever” at 98.5 proof
Try Russell’s Reserve 10 and Rare Breed @ 1:1, 2:1 was a bit light for my palate but at 1:1 it really hit the mark.
Thanks for sharing!
Leave a comment